- 8 guest reviews
"The Castle of Comfort really lives up to its name. We arrived in the best of weather, but had it been cold and raining, this would be the pl..."
"Carol was very friendly and helpful, from contacting us before our staff to confirm the room, as well welcoming us when we arrived. Great qu..."
"Warm welcome and beautiful setting. We found ourselves not wanting to leave the sitting room...."
"We decided to spend the night here having stopped at the hotel for tea, a year ago. We found it absolutely charming for tea and were equally..."
About the hotel
The Castle of Comfort is the family owned and managed venture of Carol and Nigel Venner with Julie Beaumont, providing 5 star guest accommodation in West Somerset. With plenty of character and charm, the Castle of Comfort has had a long and chequered past. Probably 16th century in origin and originally an open hall house, it has served as an inn, coffee house, cider house, private house and, it is rumoured, the meeting place for pirates off the English coast to dispose of their loot.
There was a licensed vitualler recorded at the Castle of Comfort way back in 1689. Within the Grade II listed property, historic features remain, such as the plaster decoration dated 1655 on a chimney breast. We are bounded on three sides by four acres of garden and parkland containing mature trees and shrubs which blend into the surrounding woodland of the Quantocks. You can enjoy a leisurely cream tea in the garden, take a stroll around the grounds or a refreshing dip in the heated outdoor pool (seasonal). Our en suite rooms are individually styled with comfort and practicality in mind. The 24 cover restaurant is open to residents and non-residents, with a menu showcasing locally sourced produce. The comfortable lounge is a perfect spot to relax and chat, read or enjoy a leisurely drink. Located at Dodington on the A39, we fall within the Quantock Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. In a rural setting we are within easy reach of many attractive villages as well as Bridgwater (9. 5 miles), Minehead (16. 5 miles) and Hinkley Point (6. 2 miles). We are close to several prominent wedding venues including Crowcombe Court and St Audries Park. The Quantocks, protected since 1956, offer great diversity with a rich and ancient cultural heritage and panoramic views of coast, heath and combe, making it a popular area with walkers, mountain bikers, horse riders and tourists.
- Hotel Non-Smoking Throughout, Disabled Facilities, Cots available, Tea/Coffee making facilities in each room, Hairdryer in each room, Telephone In Each Room, Limited Hours Room Service, Limited room service for hot food, Childrens Facilities - Outdoor, Pets Allowed, Ground floor bedrooms
- Car parking available onsite
- Wi-Fi Available, Wi-Fi Available In Public Areas, Wi-Fi Available In Rooms
- Restaurant, Bar
- Outdoor Pool, [Channels] News
- In Room Entertainment
- Disabled Access Public Areas, Disabled Access Bedrooms, Disabled toilets on ground floor, Wheelchair Access, Wheelchair Access To Reception, Wheelchair Access To Restaurant, Wheelchair Access To Bar, Wheelchair Access To Disabled Car Parking Spaces
Useful Info Show/hide
- 15:00 22:00
- Up to 12 years old
- The price shown is based on the occupancy and dates you have searched for. Prices and availability are subject to change based on the arrival date, number of nights and occupancy searched for. All prices are inclusive of all local taxes.
- Pets are allowed
Our reviews are from genuine LateRooms.com customers. We verify that the customer has stayed before leaving a review.
100% would recommend it to a friend
Castle of Comfort Country House and Restaurant
Wishing it had been more than one night!
The Castle of Comfort really lives up to its name.
We arrived in the best of weather, but had it been cold and raining, this would be the pl...