- Very Good
- 31 guest reviews
"Romantic setting, beautifully decorated throughout, a stunning bedroom with a gorgeous ensuite and the most comfortable bed my partner or I..."
"Last stayed in 1978! This trip was a nostalgic revisit and it did not disappoint. The ambience is superb instilling such peace and tranquill..."
"Most pleasant and unusual experience to actually stay and sleep in a castle..."
"I recently stayed here to whisk my girlfriend away and ask her to marry me. The choice of location was simply perfect and everything about t..."
"the room was very small and the windows didn't shut properly and little draughty, its a Castle and a Maze to get from rooms to Restaurant ve..."
About the hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel’s 73 luxurious en-suite bedrooms are all individually designed and situated within the Castle and its adjoining Courtyard and Courtyard Mews. A magnificent monument to a bygone age, now converted into a unique 4 star Hotel. Situated in its own grounds, close to junction 63 on the A1M, overlooking Emirates Durham International Cricket Ground and the river Wear.
Lumley Castle dates back over 600 years to the 13th Century. The Black Knight restaurant is set deep within the Castle and enjoys an excellent reputation locally and the Library bar is atmospheric and comfortable. Whilst a favourite for leisure guests, the Hotels quiet yet accessible location close to Durham (7 miles) Newcastle-upon-Tyne (11 miles) and Sunderland (12 miles) together with free WiFi, free parking and a range of meeting and event rooms make this a sensible overnight choice for both the business and leisure Guest.
- Hotel Non-Smoking Throughout , Disabled Facilities
- In room facilities
- Air conditioning in rooms , Tea/Coffee making facilities in each room , Hairdryer in each room , Trouser press in each room , Telephone In Each Room
- Hotel services
- 24 Hour Reception , 24 Hour Room Service , Limited room service for hot food , Laundry/Valet Service , Wake Up Call Available , Currency Exchange
- Family friendly
- Cots available , Interconnecting rooms available
- Wedding Licence , Porter , Ground floor bedrooms
- Parking (charges may apply)
- Car parking available onsite
- Wi-Fi Available , Meeting Facilities , In-room Modem Hook up , Wi-Fi Available In Public Areas , Wi-Fi Available In Rooms , Business Centre , Private dining services
- Restaurant , Lounge Menu , Bar
- In room entertainment
- TV , Satellite TV , [Channels] News , [Channels] Music , Radio
Useful Info Show/hide
- From 15:00 hours
- Until 11:00 hours
- The price shown is based on the occupancy and dates you have searched for. Prices and availability are subject to change based on the arrival date, number of nights and occupancy searched for. All prices are inclusive of all local taxes.
- Pets are not allowed
Our reviews are from genuine LateRooms.com customers. We verify that the customer has stayed before leaving a review.
87% would recommend it to a friend
Will never stay there again
When we arrived we were informed of our room number and told where it was, unfortunately they forgot to give us a map or precise directions with result that took 10 mins to find what appeared to be some sort of attic room that you could not swing a cat in, literally.
Some other person moved into room opposite and informed whoever he was speaking to that room was very very small. Saw that dress code was smart/casual so thought I had better enquire at reception where I was told that their dress code is no trainers and I explained to them that I had forgotten my shoes so could I?......NO.
Their loss as my wife and I went into Durham City itself and had a fantastic meal where dress code was smart/casual but they allowed smart people with trainers so Lumley Castle lost £60-80 in revenue because of their attitude. Wonder what they would say to a businessman who had forgotten his shoes and was staying for the week. Lighting in room was just adequate but in bathroom you could not see nose on your face as only had couple of downlighters in ceiling. We have stayed all over the world and have never been treated like this or paid so much money for a pokey little room, my advice go somewhere else as name is not everything.
The most beautiful and atmospheric hotel I've ever stayed in
Romantic setting, beautifully decorated throughout, a stunning bedroom with a gorgeous ensuite and the most comfortable bed my partner or I have ever slept on.
We'll definitely be back!