- Very Good
- 15 guest reviews
"Lovely hotel full of history. Nice spacious room, excellent shower facilities. Fantastic food. Good selection of types of drink. Plenty of p..."
"Very pretty hotel. very polite and friendly staff. only stayed one night but would definitely return. If u was super picky the room was very..."
"The hotel was clean, the chambermaids brilliant and the the hotel building's history interesting and welcome warm. However it was not menti..."
"Over all had a very lovely stay. We had the four poster bed and spa bath room. Staff were brilliant, very freindly and helpful. Breakfast wa..."
"having read some of the reviews i was a little concerned but came with an open mind. Check in was friendly and quick. Room was excellent qua..."
About the hotel
The oldest Hotel in England’s oldest recorded town. The BEST WESTERN Rose and Crown Hotel, originally a 14th century posting house, lovingly restored to a modern day hotel. Twelve Superior rooms renovated October 2013 with, Eco LED Lighting, Superior Soft Furnishings and beverages, including mineral water and hot chocolate, Contemporary art work, Safes, I Pod docking station and Ultra modern bathrooms with rainfall shower, no touch mirror lighting giving a very clean & crisp look.
Alternatively, choose from the historic oak beamed rooms in the original house, or the more contemporary rooms in the Executive building. Free Wifi throughout the hotel. The Tudor Bar Brasserie offers a wide selection of dishes from pub classics to contemporary fair and for those cold winter nights a real log fire to welcome you to enjoy a real ale or fine wine. The hotel is within walking distance of Colchester Town centre (15 minutes) and accessible to all the historic sights of East Anglia. The BEST WESTERN Rose & Crown in Colchester was awarded Best Business Tourism Initiative for Essex.
- Hotel Non-Smoking Throughout , Disabled Facilities
- Hotel services
- 24 Hour Reception , Limited Hours Room Service , Limited room service for hot food , Wake Up Call Available
- Family friendly
- Cots available
- Wedding Licence , Ground floor bedrooms
- Parking (charges may apply)
- Car parking available onsite
- Wi-Fi Available , In-room Broadband , Wi-Fi Available In Public Areas , Wi-Fi Available In Rooms
- Restaurant , Lounge Menu , Bar
- In room entertainment
- TV , Satellite TV , [Channels] News , [Channels] Sky Sports
- In room facilities
- Safety Deposit Box , Tea/Coffee making facilities in each room , Hairdryer in each room , Iron And Board In Each Room , Telephone In Each Room
- Disabled Access Public Areas , Disabled Access Bedrooms , Disabled toilets on ground floor , Wheelchair Access , Wheelchair Access To Conference Rooms , Wheelchair Access To Disabled Car Parking Spaces
Useful Info Show/hide
- From 14:00 hours
- Until 11:00 hours
- 20/02/2013 to 31/12/2022 - *Please note that the rooms in the main building have beams and low ceilings, as this is a period property. Guests can contact the hotel if this is a problem and rooms can be allocated accordingly.* The price shown is based on the occupancy and dates you have searched for. Prices and availability are subject to change based on the arrival date, number of nights and occupancy searched for. All prices are inclusive of all local taxes.
- Pets are not allowed
Our reviews are from genuine LateRooms.com customers. We verify that the customer has stayed before leaving a review.
60% would recommend it to a friend
We were not informed at booking or at the reception that there was a party that would be very noisy and would go on until just after midnight, this was unacceptable.
When I rang at 11pm to the night porter he was unable to help... Our room was very hot, the towel rain in the bathroom was so hot we were unable to touch it, we could not find where to turn it off so went to reception and was told to go to the fusebox near the top of the bathroom door and turn the fuse off. Flying Ants in the room opposite and the night porter was hoovering at 1am. I will be listing my complaints today with Head Office and the Hotel manager as no one was available during our stay.
Very pleasant hotel with history
Lovely hotel full of history.
Nice spacious room, excellent shower facilities. Fantastic food. Good selection of types of drink. Plenty of parking. Would have been nice to had a bit more to read about the hotel that itself advertises as the "oldest hotel" in the "oldest town". Only drawback was the language of some of the bar's clientele. I don't mind swearing and I am not averse to it in specific circumstances, but sometimes it goes over the top, especially when other diners had children with them. Suggest that the management monitor it a bit more.