- 2 guest reviews
"Battlesteads was a warm and comfortable base for our exploration of Hadrian's Wall. The sunny and warm room, spacious wet room and locally s..."
"Great hotel in a beautiful location. The Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Lovely room with a very comfortable bed. Amazing standa..."
About the hotel
The Battlesteads is a friendly, family run hotel and is ideally placed for exploring Hadrian’s Wall, Kielder and Border Reiver country. Situated in the quiet village of Wark within 100yds of the River North Tyne. Originally built as a farmstead in 1747, this four-star Inn and Restaurant features a cosy bar with open fire in the winter and a sunny conservatory within a secret walled beer-garden.
This is the land where Romans held back Picts, where Celts were driven out by Angles and Saxons, where major battles between the Scots and the English were fought. Here are the finest stretches of Hadrian’s Wall, abbeys and churches linked with the earliest story of Christianity in Britain. Here, still guarding the river crossings and the heights where men waged battle in the far-off days of border strife, are strongholds of great stature; even in ruin they have a noble grandeur. Joining it all are remote high moors, Cheviot Hills, hundreds of glittering burns and streams and a spectacular 70 mile coastline of rocky headlands, sandy bays and raucous sanctuaries of seabirds. Our bar has 5 cask-ales including Durham Magus, Wylam Gold Tankard and both Black Sheep Ale and Black Sheep Special and our wine list runs to over 20 varieties. Battlesteads was a Temperance Hotel in the early 20th century, so we also provide very tasty organic Lemonade, Dandelion & Burdock and Ginger Beer from Fentimans of Newcastle.
- Hotel Non-Smoking Throughout, Disabled Facilities, Cots available, Wedding Licence, Smoking allowed in public areas, Tea/Coffee making facilities in each room, Hairdryer in each room, Iron And Board In Each Room, Telephone In Each Room, Limited Hours Room Service, Limited room service for hot food, Laundry/Valet Service, Wake Up Call Available, Pets Allowed, Ground floor bedrooms
- Car parking available onsite, Car Parking Available Offsite
- Wi-Fi Available, In-room Broadband, Wi-Fi Available In Public Areas
- Restaurant, Bar
- In Room Entertainment
- Video/DVD Player, TV, Satellite TV, Radio
- Disabled Access Public Areas, Disabled Access Bedrooms, Disabled toilets on ground floor, Wheelchair Access, Wheelchair Access To Reception, Wheelchair Access To Restaurant, Wheelchair Access To Bar, Wheelchair Access To Disabled Car Parking Spaces
- Video/DVD Library, CD Player, [Channels] News, [Channels] Sky Sports, [Channels] Movies (Free), [Channels] Music, [Channels] Childrens
Useful Info Show/hide
- 14:00 21:00
- Up to 12 years old
- The price shown is based on the occupancy and dates you have searched for. Prices and availability are subject to change based on the arrival date, number of nights and occupancy searched for. All prices are inclusive of all local taxes.
- Pets are allowed
Our reviews are from genuine LateRooms.com customers. We verify that the customer has stayed before leaving a review.
100% would recommend it to a friend
Battlesteads was a warm and comfortable base for our exploration of Hadrian's Wall.
The sunny and warm room, spacious wet room and locally sourced food were exceptional. This was our second visit as we had been so impressed by the facilities and welcoming staff. The management does not rest on its laurels and has continued to improve the visitor experience. Give it a try and you will not be disappointed - you might even be as lucky with the weather as we were.
Great hotel in a beautiful location.
The Staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
Lovely room with a very comfortable bed. Amazing standard of food using local produce and an imaginative menu. Stayed after dropping my son off at Newcastle Uni - would definitely return.