Our reviews are from genuine LateRooms.com customers. We verify that the customer has stayed before leaving a review.
74% would recommend it to a friend
Fab hotel, fab weekend
The Manor house hotel was lovely we felt like a Lord and Lady for the weekend.
The room was exciting large and the bed huge. Food was excellent and so was the atmosphere. The stables bar was very cosy and the staff extremely friendly. The Spa was a delight, relaxing in the Jacuzzi was just shear pleasure. West Auckland itself is very tired looking but in all honesty you really did not need to move out of the hotel because everything you needed was provided for.
Room 35! Horredous room!
My partner and I were put in room 35.
We dragged our bags up a very grand staircase to find ourselves at the bottom of a very thin staircase which had rope as a bannister. Squeezing through the corridor we met our room. This room was a loft. After ducking to get through the door I then spent the remainder of the stay bent over. There was not one area in the room I could stand up. The beams were extremely low and the sloping ceilings made walking impossible. The bathroom although clean was ridiculous. There was a tiny bath which you could not lie in. The shower head was attached to the taps however with the sloping ceilings it meant you couldn't have a shower standing up. The alternative was to fold yourself up in the tub and use the shower head. The mirror was behind a beam so it could not be used without hiting your head. Which I did several times. Anyone with a disability, taller than 5ft 6 would not be advised to stay in this room.
The next morning there was no hot water. The heating clicked all day and night and the room was very cold even with the use of the portable heater. On the morning of check out I spoke with a young gentleman and explained about the room, he then questioned why I was put in that room, he agreed that it was a 'last resort room' and that there were plenty of other rooms we could have stayed in. He also grinned when he agreed the size and quality of the room was poor and unsuitable.
Enjoyable stay would go again a bit disappointed we couldn't get spa treatments but we were given a complimentary bottle of wine.
Staff very helpful
Very good rooms.
Real medieval building with authentic interior real charm.
Always a lovely stay.
lovely hotel - evening restaurant service could improve
Lovely hotel, 4 poster room wAs good value for money.
Reception and night staff were very helpful and professional. The only down side was the service in the restaurant on the evening, we were trying to eat our meal whilst staff were rushing to set up for breakfast all around us. We finished our meal and were asked if we would move to the lounge to finish our drinks as they wanted to get the table sorted for the morning. We felt like we had been rushed and pushed out which wasn't the best service.
Lovely hotel, with friendly staff and a good spa!
Four-poster room was very impressive, staff were friendly and helpful.
The spa was lovely; it was clean, not too crowded and open until late evening, so you can maximise your time there. Location is less-secluded than it looks on the photos, but the surroundings were very quiet.
We didn't eat in the hotel, so I can't comment on the food, but I bought a drink from the bar, which I knocked over before managing a sip, and they replaced it without asking. We had a really relaxing break, and I'd definitely stay here again.
As Good As It Says
A beautiful centuries old hotel tastefully furnished, warm and clean.
As many other reviews have said the staff are friendly and helpful. The spa is great, ok so not the grandest but it is worthy of it's location and is clean and modern and again the staff are on hand to improve your experience.
The only down side was our room was in the apex of the roof so standing upright a bit of a challenge. Still it was a great stay and we'll be back - just have to check which room first...
Overall this is a very pleasant hotel, staff attentive and helpful, a little quirky as I stayed in the barn conversion but overlooked the lovely courtyard and was a nice change from the usual "corporate" mass produced hotels.
Spa facilities made the end of a busy day relaxing and the chance to unwind. Will be treating my partner to a break here soon .
A mixed bag of fruit...
There's a word I kept thinking of when I was stopping here, "but".
There's a but to every positive and another for every negative which makes me believe the proprietors/staff takes steps to improve from feedback, but left me wondering if I'd enjoyed the evening or not.
- There's plenty of parking, but it's a bit of a walk from the front door, but there's a set-down area. - The staff are friendly and helpful (no buts for that one).
- There's free wifi but it's only really accessible from particular areas of the hotel, particularly in or close to the Stable Bar.
- The bar is nicely decorated, warm and has a few choices of beer, but it's not open until 7pm (... but there's a great pub over the road that is).
- The evening menu was varied and the food was nice (chips were great) but I'm not sure if for the price, and I'd failed to notice that I could've eaten in the daytime bar before 6pm (my fault, but might be easily made by others as well). - The building is perhaps the oldest I've stayed in. It's very well decorated and the rooms seem like they've been renovated within the past few years, but the windows (at least in my room) were letting in an awful draft and the radiator, albeit warm, wasn't quite up to the job until I'd shut the curtains and the halogen light had been on for a while.
- The bed is comfy and I slept semi-well, but the floors are creaky (unavoidable in a building this age, I'm aware) and my particular room seemed to be on a busy corridor.
- The breakfast appeared plentiful, but I wasn't impressed with the cooked breakfast, especially since I had to pay extra for it.
(I didn't use the spa)
So I've no major complains and everything here could be improved, but I'm not sure I'd jump at the opportunity to stop here again, at least not in the winter.