56% would recommend it to a friend
Hotel undergoing improvements so decor not finished A kettle and fridge where provided in the room but there were no outlets to plug them into, had to move the kettle to the side of the bed to get power.
Could not get the kettle under the tap in the ensuite to fill, a bit more thought could have gone into the purchase of the taps or sink fittlings. Tea and coffee were provided but no spoons available to stir drinks. Usb port were available in the sockets so no need to worry about forget phone chargers, wish all hotels had these
Staff were helpful on arrival with parking tips ect. For the cost of the room it was good value for money and would use again
Great value hotel in a good location
A well run hotel that gets better each time I stay there, nice modern and clean bathrooms.
Balkan Hotel "OK"
Balkan Hotel was fairly "ok" for single leisure traveller like me.
Portion of hotel I was staying in had some renovation work going on, with cleaniness being issue at room enterance. Moreover daily at 2.30 AM the fire alarm used to ring without any reason for more than 10mins before it was switched off/ or attended by admin.
We booked as the hotel was close to Eventim Apollo.
Room was nice and clean, and all you need for a quick 1 night stay in the city.
We also had an extra bed which was a nice surprise, ample room just for the 2 of us.
Would definitely stay again in future.
Wouldn't stay again
Dirty bed cover .
Tiny room with fridge that made a noise all through the night.
Grubby, ill-maintained and off-hand attitude
OK - I want to be fair so I will list the good points as well as the bad.
1. Its Cheap for the area
2. Good location for access to Shepherd's Bush and Hammersmith
3. Free Wifi could be accessed from my room
4. There was a fridge which worked
1.State of the decor - shoddy does not even come close. Given that cheap was a good point, I feel I was overcharged for the standard of room I received. 2. Clear evidence of prior guests smoking in a non-smoking room given the cigarette burns on display
3. Refusal to serve my breakfast as I was 30 seconds after 9.00am - there was one other guest who had obviously received his breakfast moments earlier as he had not started eating it. 4. Road Noise - Shepherd's Bush Road is extremely busy and even double glazing does not keep the noise out
5. Everything was stained or broken or poorly maintained - the mattress (yuch!) and seat in the room were stained, paint stains on the carpet, broken cheap MDF desk. 6. Door lock had obviously been replaced and the previous hole just filled with a dirty yellow substance
7. The in-room fridge and television were run off of a 4-way adapter - the only visible plug socket in the room. The kettle lead would not reach any available surface whilst plugged into this adapter - not a safe option in terms of positioning (between a bed and the side of the fridge. 8. The net curtains were a nasty shade of grey and have obviously not been entertained with a visit to a washing machine during their lives
9. The bath was a generous sized Jacuzzi bath, but the water outlet nozzles were broken off leaving sharp plastic and metal protuberances in the floor of the bath. It was difficult to shower without cutting my feet - I would not like to have tried to take a bath and sat on them. 10. The shower curtain rail was partially detached from the ceiling and was of such cheap design that it was virtually impossible to move the curtain along it's track due to the gaps between each section
11. Parking is available in side streets but is on a "Pay and Display" basis, whilst it is free between 6.00pm and 9.00am it is between £2.20 and £2.80 per hour otherwise
Hotel Balkan is linked with at least one other named hotel - Euro Hotel. Check-in and breakfast were located in the Euro Hotel. The room that I received was in an adjacent building to the Euro, whilst the signage for Hotel Balkan was on yet a different building. I was extremely upset with the attitude of the staff member who refused to serve me breakfast and indeed the same staff member was on the desk for check-out. I advised him that I was not impressed with his attitude and that refusal to serve anything on the basis that I was 30 seconds over the stipulated time represented poor service. He offered an apology, but then stated that whilst he had said sorry, that he did not mean it because I was in the wrong. I could understand that in a busy hotel with lots of guests that it can be difficult if guests arrive late for meals. However, in this situation where the one member of staff has clearly taken a jobsworth attitude he could have handled this so differently. So in conclusion - yes, compared to other venues, this is a cheap hotel. But when the adage is that you get what you pay for, I am afraid at Hotel Balkan you do not even get that. Unfortunately, I cannot upload the supporting photographs that illustrate the points raised above.
Staff were very helpful and friendly.
Accommodation was adequate for just a one night stay. Room and bed was clean. Breakfast was good, freshly cooked and ample for me. If I was visiting there again on my own I would quite happily stay there.
Very basic hotel, part of the Euro Hotel chain. Nice picture on the wall is the only good thing.
Not worth the money.
Breakfast served in the hotel across the road. Very poor quality, table and chairs crammed into a room with little space - self service and described as being continental. Only option was eggs or beans on toast or cereal. Not clean or healthy. Tea and coffee facilities in the room are a joke, only one small cup when the room is booked for two, no heating overnight. Bed very uncomfortable and very noisy all night. One single yale lock on the door making it very insecure.
Hotel is under refurbishment
The Balkan Hotel is under refurbishment, so the Reception was in the neighbouring Hotel, as well as the breakfast.
The receptionist was friendly; free WiFi OK. Overall - not bad, considering the situation.