- Very Good
- 62 guest reviews
"I was checked in over the shoulder of another customer, as the female staff member was waiting for someone to help him, call on the phone. D..."
"Accommodation nice and comfortable, disappointed that my wife was on crutches and we were put to the other side of the hotel, not wanting to..."
"Overall good stay and would stay again. Great breakfast and liked touch of having water in room. Great location in Aviemore and good facilit..."
"Decided to stay in Aviemore very last minute for one night and got a really good deal on a room, room was amazing! Bed - super comfy. Only d..."
"The staff wet met on arrival were all very helpful. We'd got an excellent deal to stay there but still received top quality treatment. Parti..."
About the hotel
Relax in style and complete comfort at the 4-star Macdonald Highlands Hotel. With 151 luxury rooms-with-a-view and its own signature restaurant, Aspects, boasting spectacular views of the Cairngorm Mountains, the Highlands Hotel is ideal for couples, families and business guests. Whilst on the resort all guests have complimentary use of the adjoining Spey Valley Leisure Arena.
The Resort offers a variety of dining choices to suit every taste, the Spey Valley Cinema where guests can relax and take in the latest releases including 3D showings, alternatively why not enjoy our unique on-site shopping experience with a selection of luxury brands and gifts in our Spey Valley Shopping complex. The Highlands hotel is the perfect choice whether you are staying for business or pleasure. The hotel is a great base to stay at if you wish to play golf at our Spey Valley Championship Golf Course. The Resort is centrally located close to the railway station and only 35 minutes from Inverness Airport. Please note that some of our spa and fitness facilities are not available at this current time. Please contact the resort directly for more information. There is ample complimentary car parking on site and attentive friendly staff to make your trip a memorable one
Showing Saturday 6 February 2016 to Sunday 7 February 2016Change Search
- Hotel Non-Smoking Throughout , Disabled Facilities , Smoking allowed in public areas
- Hotel services
- 24 Hour Reception , Limited Hours Room Service , Limited room service for hot food , Concierge , Wake Up Call Available
- Family friendly
- Cots available , Children's Facilities - Indoor , Children's Facilities - Outdoor
- Wedding Licence , Porter , Ground floor bedrooms , Lift to all floors
- Car parking available onsite
- Wi-Fi Available , Meeting Facilities , In-room Broadband , In-room Modem Hook up , Wi-Fi Available In Public Areas , Wi-Fi Available In Rooms , Business Centre , Private dining services
- Restaurant , Lounge Menu , Bar , Breakfast to go
- Gymnasium , Indoor Pool , Golf 18 Hole , Fitness Centre , Sauna , Steam Rooms , Massage , Beauty Salon/Manicure , Solarium , Jacuzzi , Mountain Bike Hire , Fishing , Quad Biking , Horse Riding , Clay Pigeon Shooting , Sailing
- In room entertainment
- TV , Satellite TV , [Channels] News , [Channels] Sky Sports , [Channels] Music , [Channels] Childrens , Radio
- In room facilities
- Tea/Coffee making facilities in each room , Hairdryer in each room , Trouser press in each room , Iron And Board In Each Room , Telephone In Each Room
- Disabled Access Public Areas , Disabled Access Bedrooms , Disabled toilets on ground floor , Wheelchair Access , Wheelchair Access To Reception , Wheelchair Access To Restaurant , Wheelchair Access To Bar , Wheelchair Access To Conference Rooms , Wheelchair Access To Leisure Facilities , Wheelchair Access To Disabled Car Parking Spaces
Useful Info Show/hide
- From 16:00 hours
- Until 11:00 hours
- 22/08/2008 to 24/08/2018 - The card used to book this prepaid rate must be presented to reception on arrival at the hotel. Please note that failure to do so will result in an alternative payment method being required. The price shown is based on the occupancy and dates you have searched for. Prices and availability are subject to change based on the arrival date, number of nights and occupancy searched for. All prices are inclusive of all local taxes.
- Pets are not allowed
Our reviews are from genuine LateRooms.com customers. We verify that the customer has stayed before leaving a review.
84% would recommend it to a friend
Not sure if the whole complex has been refurbished?
I was checked in over the shoulder of another customer, as the female staff member was waiting for someone to help him, call on the phone.
Did not appreciate my address being read out in front of him. When he moved aside he was still in my personal space. The resort literature said there's been a several million pound refurb, the reception/bar area is nice but that didn't carry to the rooms. Our room was okay, clean and tidy. The bed was really soft and lumpy it seemed like the mattress was worn. The decor was okay, magnolia, but there were marks on the walls and several stains on the carpet. The En-suite was about the best thing in the room, however the layout has a design flaw. There are no hooks on the back of the door, so if you hang a roll out wash bag on the hook to the right of the door the wall space is so small that you cannot close the door, and your bag is also right against an extremely hot towel rail, housekeeping moved my bag onto this hook when I was out of the room, and when I returned at night it had melted at one side. The cooked breakfast was not very good, the ingredients bar the sausages were bland and greasy more like a truckers cafe than a four star hotel. It was self service and the utensils used were metal with chipped and broken and melted black plastic handles. My husband almost broke a tooth as one bit had landed on his black pudding, and when I brought it to the attention of the cook he shrugged and said it was 'just a burnt bit off the tray' when it was clearly a fingernail-sized piece of plastic. I even pointed to the utensils but he wasn't interested. There is a different breakfast you can order with a supplement of £2.75 eggs benedict or smoked salmon with scrambled eggs. My husbands eggs benedict was adequate he said the ingredients didn't seem top quality but it was warm. My scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, as the same scrambled eggs that sit in the tray in the communal area, but 'chopped up' you could even make out I got a corner portion from the shape of the pieces, needless to say they were cold rubbery and tasteless with water underneath. The salmon was sloppily presented in rolls pushed into the eggs with small scraps round the periphery. The toast was quite clearly a generic saver range, as it was very thin and tasteless. To give the manager their due when we complained about this at the time (we learnt our lesson by then) he didn't charge us the supplement.
The cinema was quite good, with some new releases, although we had to move three times to find a seat that wasn't broken in some way or another.
On to the pluses, the swimming pool and leisure suites are very good. Guests receive a towel each for use there. There are plastic bags provided to take your wet clothes away, if you're travelling light. The gym is compact an bijou, but has long opening hours. There is a treadmill, cross trainer, rowing machine, free weights, mat and ball and an ab roller, more than enough for a good workout. Also there is a water cooler. The pool also has a wave machine, flume hot tub, and steam room. Unfortunately the sauna was out of order. The cafe is a Costa Coffee.
The steakhouse restaurant (where you have breakfast) is lovely, nice views. The food was a little on the expensive side, however it was delicious. we both had 3 courses and enjoyed every one. A wee bit slow to bring the bill, but that was one down to young man who appeared a little bit out of his depth in charge of front of house.
The setting and scenery is spectacular, great for snow sports and walking etc, and a short drive to other attractions such as the Highland Wildlife Park. Also it is a short walk off complex to the Cairngorm, and their bar is the best in Aviemore with pub quizzes, live entertainment and TV sports on most days.
Macdonald Highlands Hotel
Accommodation nice and comfortable, disappointed that my wife was on crutches and we were put to the other side of the hotel, not wanting to embarrass my wife we accepted this but wished staff would have been made more aware and offered something closer to front door.