- 6 guest reviews
"As I approached the hotel through a busy fun-fair, I was full of trepidation as to how noisy my room would be. Though the hotel had emailed..."
"Could not fault the room and the helpfulness of the staff but the breakfast was awful!..."
"Superb welcome at reception. Encounter with the manager along the corridor short, sharp & rude! Room lights turned on & off as they chose. T..."
"Very old building with quirky features inc uneven floors. Nice location in centre of Thame. Had pleasant stay with clean, comfortable bed an..."
About the hotel
The Spread Eagle has stood imposingly in the heart of historic Thame since the 16th century, famous for its farmer’s market and mile long Main Street. During its colourful history the hotel has played host to Charles II, French prisoners from the Napoleonic wars, famous politicians and writers such as Evelyn Waugh. The Georgian facade is instantly recognisable by all, drawn in by the un-miss able 30-ft inn sign originally designed by Lytton Strachey’s Carrington which has welcomed all our guests for nearly a century.
Our discerning customers needs for a warm welcome, attentive but discreet service and excellent food and wine has not changed since the days of John Fothergill, the hotel’s pioneer innkeeper. The fantastic city of Oxford, with its dreamy spires and punting on the River Thames is within easy reach, along with the historic town of Aylesbury and for shopping addicts, Bicester Outlet Village is only minutes away.
- Hotel Non-Smoking Throughout
- Hotel services
- 24 Hour Reception , Limited Hours Room Service , Limited room service for hot food , Laundry/Valet Service , Wake Up Call Available , Currency Exchange
- Family friendly
- Cots available , Interconnecting rooms available
- Wedding Licence , Doctor on call , Ground floor bedrooms
- Parking (charges may apply)
- Car parking available onsite
- Wi-Fi Available , Meeting Facilities , Wi-Fi Available In Public Areas , Wi-Fi Available In Rooms , Private dining services
- Restaurant , Lounge Menu , Bar , Breakfast to go
- In room entertainment
- TV , Radio
- In room facilities
- Tea/Coffee making facilities in each room , Hairdryer in each room , Telephone In Each Room
- Quad Biking , Clay Pigeon Shooting
Useful Info Show/hide
- From 14:00 hours
- Until 11:00 hours
- The price shown is based on the occupancy and dates you have searched for. Prices and availability are subject to change based on the arrival date, number of nights and occupancy searched for. All prices are inclusive of all local taxes.
- Pets are not allowed
Our reviews are from genuine LateRooms.com customers. We verify that the customer has stayed before leaving a review.
33% would recommend it to a friend
Find an alternative
Great location in Thame, however the rooms were undergoing refurbishment and although the room I stayed in was allegedly complete, there were cobwebs hanging from the curtains and the bathroom ceiling.
There were also dirty hand marks over the walls in various places. The food was ok except for the ring of fingerprints around the entire circumference of my plate... The manager was extremely rude and could really do with a change of career - my suggestion would be bin man or roadsweeper possibly. Don't stay here.
As one of the few places in the centre of Thame there's little choice.
And I suspect they know it. This was a very so so experience for the price. Breakfast was probably the only thing to write positively about.