- Very Good
- 15 guest reviews
"Very pretty hotel. very polite and friendly staff. only stayed one night but would definitely return. If u was super picky the room was very..."
"The hotel was clean, the chambermaids brilliant and the the hotel building's history interesting and welcome warm. However it was not menti..."
"Over all had a very lovely stay. We had the four poster bed and spa bath room. Staff were brilliant, very freindly and helpful. Breakfast wa..."
"having read some of the reviews i was a little concerned but came with an open mind. Check in was friendly and quick. Room was excellent qua..."
"Very clean hotel with good service from everybody. Not in the centre of town but about a mile away. Good size rooms and nice sized bathroom...."
About the hotel
The oldest Hotel in England’s oldest recorded town. The BEST WESTERN Rose and Crown Hotel, originally a 14th century posting house, lovingly restored to a modern day hotel. Twelve Superior rooms renovated October 2013 with, Eco LED Lighting, Superior Soft Furnishings and beverages, including mineral water and hot chocolate, Contemporary art work, Safes, I Pod docking station and Ultra modern bathrooms with rainfall shower, no touch mirror lighting giving a very clean & crisp look.
Alternatively, choose from the historic oak beamed rooms in the original house, or the more contemporary rooms in the Executive building. Free Wifi throughout the hotel. The Tudor Bar Brasserie offers a wide selection of dishes from pub classics to contemporary fair and for those cold winter nights a real log fire to welcome you to enjoy a real ale or fine wine. The hotel is within walking distance of Colchester Town centre (15 minutes) and accessible to all the historic sights of East Anglia. The BEST WESTERN Rose & Crown in Colchester was awarded Best Business Tourism Initiative for Essex.
Showing Wednesday 4 May 2016 to Thursday 5 May 2016Change Search
- Hotel Non-Smoking Throughout , Disabled Facilities
- Hotel services
- 24 Hour Reception , Limited Hours Room Service , Limited room service for hot food , Wake Up Call Available
- Family friendly
- Cots available
- Wedding Licence , Ground floor bedrooms
- Parking (charges may apply)
- Car parking available onsite
- Wi-Fi Available , In-room Broadband , Wi-Fi Available In Public Areas , Wi-Fi Available In Rooms
- Restaurant , Lounge Menu , Bar
- In room entertainment
- TV , Satellite TV , [Channels] News , [Channels] Sky Sports
- In room facilities
- Safety Deposit Box , Tea/Coffee making facilities in each room , Hairdryer in each room , Iron And Board In Each Room , Telephone In Each Room
- Disabled Access Public Areas , Disabled Access Bedrooms , Disabled toilets on ground floor , Wheelchair Access , Wheelchair Access To Conference Rooms , Wheelchair Access To Disabled Car Parking Spaces
Useful Info Show/hide
- From 14:00 hours
- Until 11:00 hours
- 20/02/2013 to 31/12/2022 - *Please note that the rooms in the main building have beams and low ceilings, as this is a period property. Guests can contact the hotel if this is a problem and rooms can be allocated accordingly.* The price shown is based on the occupancy and dates you have searched for. Prices and availability are subject to change based on the arrival date, number of nights and occupancy searched for. All prices are inclusive of all local taxes.
- Pets are not allowed
Our reviews are from genuine LateRooms.com customers. We verify that the customer has stayed before leaving a review.
67% would recommend it to a friend
Very pretty hotel.
very polite and friendly staff. only stayed one night but would definitely return. If u was super picky the room was very warm.
The hotel perfectly captured the history of Colchester. However the noise from the "disco" did not.
The hotel was clean, the chambermaids brilliant and the the hotel building's history interesting and welcome warm.
However it was not mentioned when making the booking online that the hotel was hosting a disco until midnight and we were not emailed until 2 days after our initial booking. This left us with no choice but to endure the disruption to our nights sleep as we were on tight budget and could not afford to rebook at another more expensive hotel. I did email the hotel to state this and how they should of mentioned the disruption expected and they replied with apologies and they would mention this to their promotions department to see if disruptive events could be highlighted on their website for future bookings. The so called "disco" sounded like a house music club night with bass lines reverberating around the hotel till midnight. Even though the hotel had moved us to what they described "away from the festivities where we can" (I dread to think the night guests nearer to the function room had to endure) we were still disturbed by the noise of the disco and the rowdy and festively merry guests attending it.
No offer was made by the hotel to compensate for our disturbed night and when I enquired about breakfast - which is not included in the price of the stay - the chance to offer us a free breakfast to make up for our noisy night was ignored. The overall feeling we had that the hotel was happy to make money from a loud and noisy function at the cost of its paying guests - which is surely the hotels main function - its guests after a decent room to sleep in for the night. I would never stay at a Great Western Hotel again as they obviously believe the comfort of their guests is of less importance to those 'partying' at their establishment. So the offers I have seen on Trip Advisor etc regarding discounts for any further stays would be useless. As it would seem is this hotel if you require a decent nights sleep.