- Very Good
- 19 guest reviews
"Loved the size of the room! Comfy bed. Housekeeping didn't refill our shampoo and body wash but a visit to reception on the way out for the..."
"The room was comfortable but not overly clean. No view, looked directly onto a church, literally only a few feet away. On the plus side, the..."
"The stay was good, the room was a good space bed was comfortable. Staff were helpful especially on first morning when we turned up for break..."
"I feel there should always be a "Bog Brush" and spare "Bog Roll" in every hotel room...."
"Every hotel should have a Toilet Brush and spare T/Roll. Mandatory...."
About the hotel
The Golden Lion Hotel originally dates from the 19th Century as a traditional Coaching Inn in the heart of the Cambridgeshire market town of St Ives. The hotel is referred to as one a "leading hotel" in St Ives in the 1893 travel book 'The Official Guide to the Great Eastern Railway'. The Inn boasts many period features throughout including: History of the Town The St Ives district has been inhabited since Stone Ages, where the remains of a Roman villa have been found.
The first Anglo-Saxon settlers are believed to have arrived in the 5th or 6th century, where they names their settlement Slepe - meaning muddy. The original Anglo-Saxon settlement was at the west end of the modern town we know today. The present parish church of All Saints which is just a short distance from us, was rebuilt in the 15th century, which some say is on the site of an old Anglo-Saxon church. During the 17th & 18th centuries St Ives became an key waterway route. Lighters, or horse-drawn barges to you and I, were used to bring coal from the port of Kings Lynn before returning back with corn. Herbert Norris, a local historian, wrote in 1888: "St Ives was formerly the centre of a great river traffic. I have
- Hotel Non-Smoking Throughout
- Wi-Fi Available , Meeting Facilities , Wi-Fi Available In Public Areas , Private dining services
- Restaurant , Lounge Menu , Bar
- In room entertainment
- TV , Satellite TV
- In room facilities
- Tea/Coffee making facilities in each room , Hairdryer in each room , Telephone In Each Room
- Hotel services
- Wake Up Call Available
- Parking (charges may apply)
- Car Parking Available Offsite
- Public Air Conditioning
Useful Info Show/hide
- From 15:00 hours
- Until 11:00 hours
- 02/03/2012 to 31/12/2021 - Fri & Sat evenings loud music is played in the bar areas until 12 midnight - you may experience noise disturbance up until 12.30am. The same applies to Bank Holiday Sunday evenings The price shown is based on the occupancy and dates you have searched for. Prices and availability are subject to change based on the arrival date, number of nights and occupancy searched for. All prices are inclusive of all local taxes.
- Pets are not allowed
Our reviews are from genuine LateRooms.com customers. We verify that the customer has stayed before leaving a review.
95% would recommend it to a friend
Loved the size of the room.
Comfy bed. Housekeeping didn't refill our shampoo and body wash but a visit to reception on the way out for the day took care of everything. Pub and restaurant great atmosphere.
The room was comfortable but not overly clean.
No view, looked directly onto a church, literally only a few feet away. On the plus side, the food both at dinner and breakfast was delicious.