- Very Good
- 9 guest reviews
"Alfriston is delightful and the Star is a great place to stay situated right in the middle of the village. The main part of the building is..."
"We always use the Star when we go to Glyndebourne. The staff and facilities are excellent although the size of the room is fairly small. We..."
"No complaints at all. We have stayed at Alfriston many times before (for Glyndebourne opera), but never before at The Star. We may well come..."
"Very easy going and pleasant place to stay - for me and my dog..."
"We stayed here for one night whilst walking a section of the South Downs way (Alfriston to Lewes). The room was comfortable, clean and quiet..."
About the hotel
The Star Inn based in the heart of the picturesque village of Alfriston has undergone an extensive refurbishment which has transformed this Grade II* listed Building. Built in the 13th century, The Star at Alfriston is one of the country's oldest inns. It has acted as a hostelry to pilgrims, smugglers and even royalty.
Until 1520 The Star at Alfriston was known as 'The Star of Bethlehem'. Then run by the monks of Battle Abbey, the inn offered shelter to friars and pilgrims as they travelled to Chichester to visit the Shrine of St Richard. Considered as a Holy House in its time, the Inn housed a 'Sanctuary Post' which provided instant church protection to fugitives and smugglers. This post still remains in the bar today, and folklore suggests its powers of sanctuary is still very much alive! The Inn is still providing rest, relaxation and a place to dine for today’s modern traveller. Whether you are looking for an adventurous weekend or a relaxing stay to get away from it all, The Star offers the perfect escape.
Showing Thursday 28 May 2015 to Friday 29 May 2015Change Search
We currently have no rooms available for this hotel that match your search criteria. Try changing your search or select an alternative hotel.
- Hotel Non-Smoking Throughout
- Hotel services
- 24 Hour Reception, Limited room service for hot food, Wake Up Call Available
- Family friendly
- Cots available, Interconnecting rooms available, Pets Allowed
- Wedding Licence, Porter, Ground floor bedrooms
- Car parking available onsite
- Wi-Fi Available, Meeting Facilities, Wi-Fi Available In Public Areas, Wi-Fi Available In Rooms, Secretary Service, Private dining services
- Restaurant, Lounge Menu, Bar
- In room entertainment
- Video/DVD Player, TV, Video/DVD Library, Radio
- In room facilities
- Tea/Coffee making facilities in each room, Hairdryer in each room, Iron And Board In Each Room, Telephone In Each Room
Useful Info Show/hide
- From 14:00 hours
- Until 11:00 hours
- 11/01/2015 to 06/03/2015 - Please note that The Star is currently closed for refurbishment from 11th Jan to 6th March. We are still taking bookings for after this period. The LateRooms.com rates for The Star Alfriston in Alfriston are the total price of the room and not the 'per person' rate. All prices are inclusive of all local taxes.
- Pets are allowed
Our reviews are from genuine LateRooms.com customers. We verify that the customer has stayed before leaving a review.
89% would recommend it to a friend
Great wedding poor accommodation
I attended a wedding at the venue which I couldn't fault, everything went very smoothly and the wedding food was excellent.
If I had just been using the hotel for overnight accommodation I would have been very disappointed. I realise the hotel is situated in a picturesque village but feel the service they provide doesn't justify the nightly cost. Breakfast was from a self service buffet and fairly basic. There were no towels in my room and the receptionist insisted on checking the room before providing any.
Alfriston is delightful and the Star is a great place to stay situated right in the middle of the village.
The main part of the building is extremely old which is lovely, There are some rooms in a newer wing which are good but not as quaint. Service is good however there can be a language barrier with staff due to their etnic origin - a small issue. Food is generally good but, avoid busy times!!