- 19 guest reviews
"Breakfast was the only disappointment We should have been asked if we wanted more tea and coffee When the toast rack is taken away you shoul..."
"We booked the Portico suite for our wedding night, fantastic room with some really sweet touches to make the stay extra special. A shame we..."
"Great hotel. Evening meal very good. The only criticism was breakfast, toast was always served cold and on the second day there was poached..."
"Fabulous welcoming hotel with excellent service..."
"Had the pleasure of staying at this lovely hotel for a night, while there my partner and I had a top meal in the brassiere the food was seco..."
About the hotel
Situated just 10 minutes from Colchester centre Wivenhoe House Hotel, is an inspirational country house hotel which fuses contemporary and traditional influences offering luxurious accommodation, brasserie dining and free Wi-Fi and parking. Whether it's the magnificent 18th Century architecture, the serenely landscaped gardens or the impeccable service, Wivenhoe House never fails to delight and intrigue in equal measure. Originally built in the 18th Century, and once painted by Constable, the house has since been lovingly restored and renovated whilst still retaining its genteel grace and historical allure.
Each of the 40 en-suite rooms are light, spacious, airy and above all irresistibly comfortable. 16 elegant rooms and suites are located in the main house and there are a further 24 rooms in the contemporary garden wing, many with delightful views over the manicured lawns and wooded parkland. The Hotel is located near to the University of Essex and 12 minutes from the A12 motorway. Colchester Rail station is just 10 minutes away and offers excellent transport links to the rest of the country including direct trains to London, only an hour away. There is also a local station at Hythe just a 7 minute taxi ride from the Hotel. Stansted Airport is approximately a 45 minute drive from the hotel. Wivenhoe House Hotel boasts a privileged location near some fabulous local attractions. Colchester, Britain's oldest recorded town is just a short distance away and is a thriving melting pot of world-class eateries, traditional pubs, specialist shops, award-winning museums and art galleries. For a fun family day out, the renowned Colchester Zoo is certainly worth a visit. Further adventure can be found at Clacton-on-Sea where visitors can look forward to lovely sandy beaches, a beautiful Victorian pier with undercover amusements and a fun fair and plenty of opportunities for a wide range of water sports. Just a five minute drive from the Hotel is the serene beauty of The Beth Chatto Gardens. The surrounding Essex countryside is affectionately referred to as 'Constable Country' after the renowned landscape artist John Constable and it has been captured in many of his most famous paintings. It is also home to the spectacular Dedham Vale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Hotel Non-Smoking Throughout , Disabled Facilities , 24 Hour Reception , Cots available , Wedding Licence , Safety Deposit Box , Tea/Coffee making facilities in each room , Hairdryer in each room , Telephone In Each Room , 24 Hour Room Service , Laundry/Valet Service , Wake Up Call Available , Interconnecting rooms available , Porter , Lift to all floors
- Car parking available onsite , Car Parking Available Offsite
- Wi-Fi Available , Meeting Facilities , In-room Modem Hook up , Wi-Fi Available In Public Areas , Wi-Fi Available In Rooms , Private dining services
- Restaurant , Lounge Menu , Bar
- In Room Entertainment
- TV , Satellite TV , Radio
- Disabled Access Public Areas , Disabled Access Bedrooms , Disabled toilets on ground floor , Wheelchair Access , Wheelchair Access To Reception , Wheelchair Access To Restaurant , Wheelchair Access To Bar , Wheelchair Access To Leisure Facilities , Wheelchair Access To Disabled Car Parking Spaces
- [Channels] News , [Channels] Movies (Free) , [Channels] Movies (Pay Per View) , [Channels] Music , [Channels] Childrens
Useful Info Show/hide
- From 15:00 hours
- Until 11:00 hours
- The price shown is based on the occupancy and dates you have searched for. Prices and availability are subject to change based on the arrival date, number of nights and occupancy searched for. All prices are inclusive of all local taxes.
- Pets are not allowed
Our reviews are from genuine LateRooms.com customers. We verify that the customer has stayed before leaving a review.
100% would recommend it to a friend
Very disappointed with breakfast for the cost!
Breakfast was the only disappointment We should have been asked if we wanted more tea and coffee When the toast rack is taken away you should be asked if you need more toast we didn't but expected to be asked.
The eggs were over cooked to the point that they looked like they had been grilled to warm up , should never have been served like that but we had waited some time . Other breakfasts looked different to our so don't know why we were served what we were .
A different young lady asked at the outset if everything was ok but we didn't have time to say no and wait for a new breakfast
The Portico Suite was sweet!
We booked the Portico suite for our wedding night, fantastic room with some really sweet touches to make the stay extra special.
A shame we weren't able to stay for longer.