Found the same room at a different price? Tell us, and we'll offer to match it.
|3||Self Classified Country House Hotel||Ratings explained|
Rushpool Hall is one of the finest specimens of Gothic Victorian architecture to be found in North Yorkshire. It was erected at the head of the Valley Gardens in Saltburn-by-the-Sea during the years 1863-4 for Mr John Bell, one of the Victorian pioneer Ironmasters of Bell Brothers a company that controlled the ironstone mines at Skelton-in-Cleveland. The Hall was constructed using the first batch of ironstone taken from the Skelton Shaft ironstone mine. The red and brown iron in the stone is clearly visible from the buildings' exterior. The Rushpool building project was unquestionably very ground breaking territory for both John Bell and his commissioned architect.
The architecture of Rushpool Hall is possibly by Cuthbert Brodrick (1821-1905) famed Victorian architect of Leeds Town Hall (1852-8), the Leeds Corn Exchange (1860-2) and Leeds Mechanics Institute (1860-5), now the Leeds City Museum. Brodrick was the subject of a 2007 BBC2 television programme…”The Case of the Disappearing Architect”... by Jonathan Meades. A celebrated architect in his day; it was once remarked, ”London has Christopher Wren, Barcelona has Antonio Gaudi and Leeds, well Leeds has Cuthbert Brodrick.”