- Very Good
- 13 guest reviews
"Brilliant hotel and location for the Lake district. Step back in time and enjoy the rest. Superb local shops as well. Thoroughly enjoyed our..."
"Very happy even though we were on the 3rd floor with no lift. One of our favourite hotels and even though very busy with a coach party the s..."
"I use the George as an overnight stop when I'm travelling from Scotland To Wales or England. Always good service with courteous staff. Comfo..."
"Comfortable room and bed, good shower, wide range of breakfast options, polite and helpful staff, convenient car parking.... and even the we..."
"have stayed here many times over the last 20 years. in the centre of town, it is very much a traditional hotel, but the rooms have all been..."
About the hotel
A gateway to the Lakes provided by the princely George Hotel, Penrith The George Hotel in Penrith has played host to royalty throughout history and allows guests to experience the charm, tradition and welcoming atmosphere of a gentler time. As Penrith is known as the gateway to the Lake District, it is perfectly located for exploring the Pennines and the Lakes. Step into the hotel through the historic revolving doors and be greeted by the friendly, familiar faces of the professional staff.
The nostalgic wood panelling, old oak beams, antique furniture and traditional local prints combined with luxurious, modern fabrics to create the George Hotel’s unique atmosphere. The popular phrase “Meet me at the George” is well used as the elegant lounges are always popular for morning coffee and cake, lunches and decidedly decadent afternoon teas. There are 35 well-appointed en-suite bedrooms; the George Hotel is the perfect base for exploring the surrounding area and charming market town it sits within. Food and Drink Overlooking Penrith’s main street, the Devonshire Restaurant has been completely transformed with sophisticated silver and gold décor and a refined menu that focuses on local ingredients. Offering a table d'hôte and à la carte menu its style is contemporary English with strong traditional influences, with the freshest of ingredients, many produced locally in and around Penrith within a 25 mile radius, being used. The George Hotel also has an extensive wine cellar which offers a fine choice of specially selected wines to complement the restaurant menu. For relaxed informal dining there’s Dapper’s Bar - a modern, vibrant and relaxing place to feast on food throughout the day or night. Try the tapas or something more substantial – and they offer a great line-up of cocktails too. A great meeting place with friends; perfect for dinner or drinks. Conferencing and events If you’re looking for a conference venue in Penrith, few hotels can offer the unique position of The George. One of the hotels’ best features is its location, in the heart of the traditional market town of Penrith yet only minutes from the M6 motorway and West Coast mainline railway station, with spectacular Lake Ullswater only 4 miles away. Penrith is that ideal evolution of a modern day market town retaining all the Old World charm of a time gone by. Superfast Free Fibreoptic broadband is available throughout the whole hotel. Upstairs the Georgian Ball Room with its ornate ceiling and large windows makes the hotel a stunning and unique location for parties, dinners, dances and weddings.
Showing Sunday 29 November 2015 to Monday 30 November 2015Change Search
- Hotel Non-Smoking Throughout
- Family friendly
- Cots available
- Wedding Licence
- Car parking available onsite
- Wi-Fi Available , Meeting Facilities , In-room Broadband , Wi-Fi Available In Public Areas , Wi-Fi Available In Rooms , Business Centre , Private dining services
- Restaurant , Lounge Menu , Bar
- In room entertainment
- TV , Satellite TV , Radio
- In room facilities
- Tea/Coffee making facilities in each room , Hairdryer in each room , Telephone In Each Room
- Hotel services
- Wake Up Call Available
Useful Info Show/hide
- From 15:00 hours
- Until 11:00 hours
- The price shown is based on the occupancy and dates you have searched for. Prices and availability are subject to change based on the arrival date, number of nights and occupancy searched for. All prices are inclusive of all local taxes.
- Pets are not allowed
Our reviews are from genuine LateRooms.com customers. We verify that the customer has stayed before leaving a review.
85% would recommend it to a friend
Brilliant hotel and location for the Lake district.
Step back in time and enjoy the rest. Superb local shops as well. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the George, Penrith.
Needs to get into the 21st Century.
Did not stay at the George last few stays in area, and now I recall why.
olde worlde good looks downstairs are not enough to keep this place busy in years to come. A boring list to explain (sorry!):
1. a single stick of coffee in the room. is coffee that expensive. and zero biscuits to go with it. 2. barman was not behind the bar more than he was behind it: and not only I noticed this. 3. at breakfast the mature lady serving seemed like she could not wait to see the back of the guests eating, I like a relaxed time at breakfast, not to feel like I am in the way.
(Breakfast offerings OK gaving said that)
4. all this and a very (very very) small room at heading up at £100 B+B one night, not great value. 5. Xmas upcoming and the whole place seemed solely focused on that.
(as far as menu/clients they want to attract into bars/restaurants/lounge/staff wise) and they forgot there are actually paying guests upstairs in rooms.