- 29 guest reviews
"This hotel was a great find, we were 4 couples visiting Oxford for our annual weekend away. The hotel has great character and the rooms are..."
"A great place to stay. Good food. Helpful staff. One small criticism was very patchy wifi in our room. Room 1 in the annexe. We'd definitely..."
"Wish had found years ago, friendly staff, love the room, will be back again...."
"An excellent stay in a very old pub. The room was very comfortable with plenty of space and a sofa to sit on to watch TV. There were lots of..."
"Nice quiet olde worlde setting in authentic surroundings. Clean room well equipped and comfortable. Good food and attentive service. Would r..."
About the hotel
The Bear and Ragged Staff is just 2 miles away from the A34, 4 miles West of Oxford and without all the city centre parking issues. It is just off the main A420 to Swindon and Bristol. A stay at the Bear is much more than a “B&B” experience, guests have full access to the bars, snugs, log fires, decking/garden in the summer and the main restaurant.
Perfect for a romantic weekend or for the busy traveling businessperson. Rooms in the Old Cottage Wing all boast en suite bathrooms and high ceilings. There is full access to broadband and Wi-Fi connectivity. King sized beds are standard throughout, desks, full length mirrors for preparing for that special romantic dinner or business meeting are featured. Above the Old Pub which is housed in the original part of the Bear dating back more than 450 years, we have refurbished the “Landlord’s Wing” which has historically been used as accommodation for the succession of landlords who have graced the Bear since it was converted into a pub in the 1860s. This part of the building provides another five rooms and bursts with features such as wiggly beams, sloping floors, quirky staircases and of course, ghosts. . . . . . . !!
- Disabled Facilities
- Family friendly
- Cots available , Interconnecting rooms available , Children's Facilities - Outdoor
- Parking (charges may apply)
- Car parking available onsite , Car Parking Available Offsite
- Wi-Fi Available , Wi-Fi Available In Public Areas , Wi-Fi Available In Rooms
- Restaurant , Lounge Menu , Bar , Breakfast to go
- In room entertainment
- TV , [Channels] News , [Channels] Movies (Free) , Radio
- In room facilities
- Tea/Coffee making facilities in each room , Hairdryer in each room , Iron And Board In Each Room
- Hotel services
- Currency Exchange
- Disabled Access Public Areas , Disabled toilets on ground floor , Wheelchair Access , Wheelchair Access To Reception , Wheelchair Access To Restaurant , Wheelchair Access To Bar , Wheelchair Access To Disabled Car Parking Spaces
Useful Info Show/hide
- From 14:00 hours
- Until 11:00 hours
- The price shown is based on the occupancy and dates you have searched for. Prices and availability are subject to change based on the arrival date, number of nights and occupancy searched for. All prices are inclusive of all local taxes.
- Pets are not allowed
Our reviews are from genuine LateRooms.com customers. We verify that the customer has stayed before leaving a review.
100% would recommend it to a friend
Great base for visiting Oxford
This hotel was a great find, we were 4 couples visiting Oxford for our annual weekend away.
The hotel has great character and the rooms are spacious and have an individual feel, not like many modern chain hotels, a bonus for myself was the inclusion of a cafetiere and ground coffee. We ate a snack lunch and an evening meal in the restaurant and both were excellent, there was a good selection of cask ales and spirits served by efficient bar staff. The inclusive breakfast with choice of cereals, fruit, full english, eggs benedict etc. was also well received. Given the location (15-20 minutes from Oxford centre) the price was very reasonable. We would all definitely stay again.
A great place to stay.
Good food. Helpful staff. One small criticism was very patchy wifi in our room. Room 1 in the annexe. We'd definitely stay here again.